Mark’s been playing some more pro tennis and there’s more news available so I’m bringing this site back to life with some more updates. The big news is that Mark has apparently given up any plans for an ATP return, or well, sort of, depending on how you interpret this quote from The Boston Herald: “I don’t really have any interest in returning to ATP. I’d love to play some events. I’m very interested in playing some events, but I’m very happy playing senior events.” So he’s done with the ATP but would love to play some events? Guess we’ll have to wait and see.
- 7/21/11: “Scud admits his ATP tennis days are done” – Tennis Talk
- 7/21/11: “Scud to the ATP, I’ll be surfing USA” -The Australian [AU]
World Team Tennis: Mark played in his third season in World Team Tennis, this time for the St. Louis Aces. WTT uses a rotating team format and Mark played in 5 of the matches:
- 7/18/11: St. Louis Aces vs. Boston Lobsters. Mens Singles: Mark defeated Jan Michael Gambill 5-1; Mens Doubles: Philippoussis/Jean-Julien Rojer lose to Jan Michael Gambill/Eric Butorac 4-5.
- 7/19/11: St. Lous Aces vs. Newport Beach Breakers. Mens Singles: Mark defeated Lester Cook 5-2; Mens Doubles: Philippoussis/Jean-Julien Rojer defeated Lester Cook/Trevor Kronemann 5-2
- 7/20/11: St. Louis Aces vs. Kansas City Explorers. Mens Singles: Mark lost to Ricardo Mello 2-5; Mens Doubles: Philippoussis/Jean-Julien Rojer lost to Alex Kuznetsov/Ricardo Mello 4-5
- 7/21/11: St. Lous Aces vs. Kansas City Explorers. Mens Singles: Mark lost to Alex Kuznetsov 2-5; Mens Doubles: Philippoussis/Jean-Julien Rojer lost to Alex Kuznetsov/Ricardo Mello 3-5
- 7/22/11: “WTT Update: Mark Philippoussis Leads Aces into Playoffs” – 10sballs
- 6/5/11: “At 35, Aces’ Philippoussis still loves tennis” – St Louis Today [US]
In early June Mark apparently played at something called the Classique tournament in England but other than one vague promo article I found no other information on that. Back in May, Mark won another ATP Champions Series event, the Seguros Bolivar Tennis Champions in Bogota, Colombia. He defeated Carlos Moya 7-5, 6-7 (3-7), [10-4] in the tie-break on the 23rd. The May 19th APT Uncovered video series profiled Mark’s career.
- 6/9/11: “Mark Philippoussis and Richard Krajicek are big news at glittering tennis event” – Men Media [UK}
- 6/15/11: Photo call for Wimbledon with Evain
- 5/22/11: Philippoussis returns to Moya during the Seguros Bolivar Tennis Champions in Bogota, Colombia – Saudi News Today